Saturday, September 16, 2006

Air Force Marathon

Wright-Patterson AFB, Oh
Time: 4 hours 5 minutes 8 seconds

I completed my first marathon today. It was an awesome experience!

At smaller racing events, when the gun sounds everyone takes off. A marathon can be a little different. I was about three quarters of the way back in the field because it was my first marathon and I want to stay out of the way of any serious runners. When the gun sounded, everyone just stood around where I was. There was really no where to go. We had to wait about a minute and a half before we could even get up to the start line.

Once I got moving I was a little nervous. The little guy in my head kept on telling "What if you can't go 26.2 miles." After getting the first couple miles done with he finally shut up and I found my groove. Something that I didn't expect was that so many of the runners are talking to each other while they run. I struck up a conversation with people from time to time and now that it is over, I have to say the conversations made the experience even more special.

I got through the 1st 23 miles with no problems. I was running at a faster pace than I had expected as well. At that point I was on pace to run a 3:45 marathon. Sometime after I passed mile marker 23 my legs began to seize up on me though. I couldn't quit though. Even though I had to take walking breaks for the last three miles I wouldn't let up. By the time that I got within sight of the finish line my legs felt a little better and I started to jog. It hurt, I can't deny that. I did it though. I crossed the finish line at 4 hours 5 minutes and 8 seconds. I wanted to run it in 4 hours flat and only missed the goal by a little. I will have plenty of other opportunities to get one in under 4 hours though.

183 left.

No comments: